Wednesday 8 August 2007

Meet Madame Pomfrey!



Let me introduce Madame Pomfrey. She likes to chill out in the fridge, but gets very active once fed and given some warmth.

This is my sourdough starter. I've had it for the last 2 months, I think.

Whenever it is time to bake another loaf of bread, I take out the starter, pour half of it into a bowl and feed it with a cup of bread flour and water. Cover bowl with tea towel, put into a warm spot (usually I warm up the oven a little bit and put it in there) and let rise until bubbly and risen.

The starter in the jar gets a cup of flour and water, too. Mix and put back in the fridge.
















The bowl with the sponge after several hours. Nice and bubbly:

















I added two cups of bread flour (German mix - this includes whole grains and seeds, etc.) and mixed that well. Then cover and let rise again. This time I left it overnight.



Divide dough into two, pour into bread pans, let rise another 30 minutes or so. (You could use a bigger bread pan and make one big loaf.) Then bake on highest temperature for about 30-35mins.

Guess what's for lunch?The Veggie Gnome


No comments: