Thursday 9 August 2007

Heeling in fruit trees


This is my 'holding bay' for the bare rooted fruit trees that arrived a few weeks ago. As the orchard extension wasn't closed off then, I had to put the new arrivals in a place where they'd be happy for a while.

It's quite a big tub with holes at the bottom, filled with good compost.

This morning I thought of planting them all, but while taking this picture I got chilled to the bone and decided to wait till the weather fines up a little. It's foggy, windy, cold and generally quite miserable out there at the moment. Let's hope it clears soon.

The Veggie Gnome

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What trees are you planting?

Veggie Gnome said...

Very early apple: Beauty of Bath. It's supposed to give us ripe apples at around Christmas.
Early apple: Sweetman. Matures at around early February.
2 Sunburst Cherries, as we loved them when we were munching our way through Tasmania.
1 Morello Cherry, as I remember that fondly from my childhood.
These are the ones you can see in the tub. Won't tell you about the others that are hanging about all over the place. :)