Thursday 30 August 2007

Cape Gooseberry


I've had this plant in my garden for the last 5 years. It's now pretty frost hardy. I just made sure it's in a spot where the sun doesn't hit it first thing in the morning. So it does get defrosted very, very slowly. The fruit is just amazing. Let it drop off the plant and then open the papery lantern. The round, orangey fruit is delicious. If you leave them on the ground long enough, the 'lanterns' show an incredibly intricate pattern. You can still eat the fruit. :)
Can you tell I am fascinated by this fruit? :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant photos Ms Gnome! What interesting fruit. Love it!

Robyn Sinclair said...

They are brilliant photos! And yes please, could you send my gardener some seeds. I have to have these.

I've just read your whole blog and it's gorgeouos. That's a little garden of Eden you have going there. Maybe our next home should be in the Adelaide Hills!

Veggie Gnome said...

Thank you so much for the kind comments, Cosmic and Robyn! I am glad you liked the pictures. (I am quite proud of them myself, if I may say so.)

Growing them should give you a lot of joy. They are very easy to grow. Not fussy. And a pretty plant, too> :)

Maggie said...

Absolutely beautiful, I reckon you could sell those photos, maybe we could have a garden bloggers art show at a local market one day.
Thanks mad gnome!