Friday 20 June 2008

Caesar Salad

I had this craving for Caesar Salad and decided to make my own* (actually I had it twice in a row for lunch now). It took 15 minutes to make. This was all the time I needed to go out in the garden and pick some leafy greens, put the water on for the poached egg, cut and slice bread, garlic and pancetta and crisp up in a frying pan.

Arrange the leafy greens on a plate, drizzle some dressing (not much and not the traditional Caesar salad dressing, because I was hungry) - a little extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar (or lemon juice), salt & pepper - over the leafy greens. Scatter your crispy croutons over the greens, arrange anchovies, slivers of parmesan and put poached egg in the middle. Enjoy!
This may seem a lot of croutons, but I was hungry when I made it.

*This started out as The Caesar Salad Rant but then I decided that I couldn't be bothered - yet. It will be a tale of shock, horror and how badly a restaurant can muck up something as simple as a Caesar salad.

1 comment:

Kate said...

A perfect lunch to get you through an afternoon of gardening, I'd say....or at least up until afternoon tea time!