Wednesday 24 September 2008

Crazy Salad

We didn't know what to have for tea last night. So I looked in the fridge and pantry to see what needed to be used up. Ah.. sweet potato, green beans, big couscous (can't remember what it is really called - the big round pea-sized balls of couscous). Then I vaguely remembered a recipe I had read on a blog. I didn't take the time to look it up again, so all I remembered was that you dice your vegetables, roast them, then toss them in some dressing together with some fresh greenery. You can imagine my surprise when I looked it up this morning and I read the full recipe.
It's still a crazy salad. Must be - the blog writer is Crazy Mumma!

I used sweet potato, green beans, carrots and celery. Diced so that they are roasted in the same time. Tossed these bits in olive oil, salt & pepper, chilli, ground cumin, freshly-chopped rosemary & sage. On to a baking tray and into the oven for about 20 minutes. Don't forget to add some cloves of garlic (in their skin) and some shelled walnuts.

Meantime, make a dressing of freshly-chopped parsley, extra-virgin olive oil, salt & pepper and some fresh lemon juice.

Then boil the couscous until it's done (takes forever when you are hungry and watching it boil!). This big couscous is boiled just like pasta.

While all that is going on, have a walk in the garden with your colander and pick some leafy greens. Usual stuff - Komatsuna, Chinese Broadleaf Celery, Wild Rocket.

Put everything - roast veggies, couscous, greenery - in the bowl with the dressing, squeeze in roasted garlic and toss.

Delicious. Crazy.
One day I might actually follow the original recipe.

No comments: