Tuesday 19 August 2008

That's a radish!

I did a bit of tidying up in the garden during the weekend and discovered a few radishes that had been growing happily and unobserved in one of the winter vegetable beds. The variety is called "Candela di Fuoco" and I can only recommend it. I shall let one go to seed to save some for next autumn. It is long, red, crunchy, crispy and does not go all woody even if it is in the ground longer than necessary. I cut up one of those pictured below and it was still sweet, mild, crispy and juicy. Unbelievable! The smallest was 'only' about 30cm long, the longest nearly half a metre. I am very happy with the soil in that particular bed.Underneath the radishes the box is full of beetroot. I haven't decided yet what to do with them. Roast them? Preserve them? Grate them to eat raw? Suggestions?

2 comments:

natashall said...

Wow! Those look amazing. I have two ways I love to eat beets. First is to roast in a 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes with just olive oil, salt and pepper. Take them out, chop and dress with a bit of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
The second is to roast or steam the beets and top with just a bit of good quality blue cheese, olive oil and chopped toasted almonds.

Veggie Gnome said...

Both sound delightful! Thank you for dropping in and sharing your recipes. :)