Monday 25 August 2008

A new potato bed

Saturday saw us out in the garden. Making new beds, extending existing beds, building up the soil. All in preparation for our potato planting.

This is my new potato bed. There were still some good pieces of wood and some sleepers about, so I decided to use them to make a new bed.
Once the border was finished, I put a thick layer of newspapers on the ground, then a layer of sheep manure, on top of that a layer of horse manure.

Let's hope the seed potatoes arrive soon! When I plant the potatoes, I will put them on top of that soil and put more layers of manure and compost on top of them. All covered with a thick layer of mulch.

These are the corrugated iron beds I built last season.You can see the Komatsuna (Japanese Mustard Spinach) trying to take over the raised bed.

No comments: