Wednesday 9 May 2012

Hungry!

I'm getting rather hungry here. Lunch time is rapidly approaching. Maybe I should make myself a nettle omelet. The stinging nettles are looking very good - new, tender growth.

The girls are laying beautiful eggs. Herbs are in abundance. And there is still plenty of our own garlic in the pantry.
Oh, and I read somewhere that stinging nettles are really, really good for you. Like it has loads of vitamins A, C, iron, potassium, manganese, and calcium. Okay, I talked myself into it. See you later! :)

2 comments:

Barb. said...

I don't grow this but buy it dried to use as a tea, mainly for it's iron. It's nice with a dash of honey or mixed with rosehip tea and blackcurrent juice. I add the used *leaves* to soups and scrambled eggs.
You're smart to be growing it yourself.

Barb.

Veggie Gnome said...

I like it as tea, too. Haven't tried it with rosehip, but I'm sure it'll taste nice.
Yes, I purposely planted it in two spots to ensure a good supply. I'm glad there is somebody else out there who likes nettle! :)