Friday 16 April 2010

Bunching onions

These onions totally disappeared over summer, due to the heat and dryness. With the first few rains, they popped up again. They are looking very healthy.When you have a closer look around the bunching onions, you can see the seeds of the lamb's lettuce (corn salad, mache) that have popped up again. I always let a heap of them go to seed at the beginning of summer to ensure a good supply of corn salad for autumn/winter. The seeds scatter, are dormant over summer, and germinate with the first rains in autumn. That's my kind of gardening!

4 comments:

subu.ps said...

Seems like you get all the vegetables you need from your kitchen garden. Some of the photos you posted here are really superb.

Jacqueline said...

lamb's lettuce...never heard of that. I know some people say that gardening isn't hard, anyone can learn it, but some good people like yourselves just seem to have a knack for it. Please come to NSW for a workshop!!

Mickle in NZ said...

These onions look great.

I guess your summer dormant season for plants is the equivalent of Northern Hemisphere animals hibernating over winter!

Happy onion and lamb's lettuce growing and eating.

Aussiemade said...

I love corn salad, and miners lettuce. Are bunching onions the same as tree onions? Kind of look similar to my tree onions. I too have not heard of lambs lettuce.