Sunday 10 January 2010

Harvesting...

...before the heat hits. Today's forecast: 43C!

The Black Salsify (Scorzonera) has gone to seed. Aren't the seed heads pretty? This is a delicious root vegetable. Long, thin and black. Boiled and peeled, it has a lovely, slightly nutty taste. Some say it tastes of oysters. I could not say, but we all have different taste buds. I shall try to have a salsify bed for winter eating.
The basil "Lettuce Leaf" is going berserk. The leaves are aptly named. They are as big as the palm of my hand.I took my basket out for harvesting. Filled with zucchini, tomatoes and basil.
This is today's harvest.
3 zucchini ("Ronde de Nice", "Romanesco", "Lebanese"), several tomatoes ("Rouge de Marmande", "Black Cherry", "Ida Gold", "Broad Ripple Yellow Currant"). The tomatoes are not all fully ripe yet, but I picked them anyway, as I didn't want them to get cooked on the plant in today's heat. You can also see some carrots "Purple Dragon".

Now I'm wondering what to make for tea. Nothing that involves too much cooking. The additional heat of the stove or oven is not welcome today. Any suggestions? Anyone?

Ps.: I did make pesto. So no more basil leaves left. :)

2 comments:

Mickle in NZ said...

By way of a contrast it is 14C here with gale force winds and horizontal rain. Zebbycat has retreated beneath his quilt.

How about a simple pasta dish? I'm sure the water would boil if you just left the pot outside ....

Take care and avoid heat stroke

Mickle in NZ said...

Checking that you dear two haven't melted from the heat. Expect the harvested toms will be fully ripe so eat and enjoy.

I'm harvesting individual leaves from 2 cos lettuce plants I grew from seed and radishes. First sugar snap peas appear to be finishing but have dwarf plant sized beans and snow peas started, Wombok flourishing and flat leaf parsley taking over just where I wont it too.

Veg are all in containers, my first veggie growing at age 44!