Monday 18 January 2010

Bunnies are nice!

Especially when properly prepared.

Flower Gnome jointed a rabbit and we got 2 meals out of it.

First meal was bunny satay. Recipe from a River Cottage cookbook (Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall). Tip: use only the saddle for the satay. It won't feed an army, but these are the tenderest bits. Just make sure you have plenty of side dishes. We had spicy satay sauce and various barbecued veggies with the satay.
Verdict: super-delicious! A real winner. Tasty, juicy, tender.

With the rest of the meat we made bunny burgers.
Mince the meat and add your favourite herbs and spices. Serve with your favourite toppings.
Verdict: Different texture, but very nice. Received the thumbs up, too.

3 comments:

Mickle in NZ said...

Yummo! lean and flavoursome meat

Minni Mum said...

Must revisit bunny again now I'm a little more mature in years - was rather traumatised by fresh bunnies and ducks caught and prepared in front of me by my Great Uncle when I was a young (city) child LOL! It was way too gamey for my delicate palate back then, but I reckon I could come at it again now...

Unknown said...

Excellent fare. I used to eat lots of wild rabbit when I was a kid, before they banned rabbit traps. We used to see the rabbit plagues of the 70's as and abundance of free food, even though they would eat every green thing in site. This was well before mixy took hold.