Our Food Connect box offers a range of fresh, local & seasonal fruit and vegetables every week. Beetroot is just one of them. We've made amazing beetroot & chocolate muffins twice. They are absolutely delicious. Add the zest of an (organic) orange and you'll have something special indeed. This time we had Layered Beetroot & Potato Bake. Superb! We'll definitely have this one again. Even non-beetroot eaters enjoy it. :)Layered Beetroot & Potato Bake
Adapted from a Donna Hay recipe.
400g potatoes, thinly sliced (I don't bother to peel them, as they are organic)
125g beetroot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup grated cheese
1/2 cup cream
1 tbsp horseradish cream
* Preheat oven to 180C.
* Mix eggs, cream, horseradish cream, salt & pepper in a bowl.
* Layer 1/2 the potatoes in a greased oven form. Then 1/3 of the cheese.
* Follow with beetroot and another 1/3 of cheese.
* Pour over 1/2 the egg mix.
* Then add a layer with rest of potatoes, rest of cheese, rest of egg mix.
(I added freshly chopped parsley to my egg mix)
* Cover with foil/lid. Bake in oven for 1 hour.
* After the hour, uncover, bake for another 30 mins.
* Take out of oven, let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Serves 4 as a side dish. Or 2 as a main dish, with some salad.