Wednesday 31 October 2012

First planting session...

...finally!

I planted the first tomatoes today. I managed to squeeze in 10 plants per bed. They may be a bit close together, but let's hope for the best. (I always plant them a bit close together, it seems to have become a spring ritual, I'm afraid.)

There are stardroppers at either end of the beds, plus one in the middle. Later in the season, when the plants grow bigger, I'll use some twine to weave it around them - called 'Florida Weave' - and that tucks them in nicely.
I also started on the other summer vegetables. Zucchini (Golden Summer Crookneck), cucumbers (Armenian), okra (Burgundy) and tomatillos.

There are still quite a few plants left to be planted, but one day at a time! How are you going with your spring planting? :)

4 comments:

greenfumb said...

Well done, 10 per bed wouldn't work here, too humid.

I've planted loads and loads of different tomato seeds this year and already my beds are full with self seeded ones.

Not sure where I'm going to put my Romas, Amish Paste, Jaune Flamme, Tropic.................

I'm sure I'll find some forgotten corner.

Veggie Gnome said...

Greenfumb, you are right. The humidity would be a big problem. But our dry, hot summers allow for closer planting.

There is always room for more tomatoes. Even though it looks all totally full. Trust me! I do it every year. *LOL*

Sue Garrett said...

No spring planting here :-)

Veggie Gnome said...

Sue, but you are busy harvesting gorgeous produce from your garden! :)