Friday 27 February 2009

Pretty Peachy!

I was a bit stressed at first, when I thought about all those peaches from our neighbour that were sitting in a box on our kitchen counter. I hate wasting anything and I thought I would not have enough time to preserve them. However, where there's a will, there's a way!

One batch fresh out of the preserver:
Then a batch cut up to go into the dehydrator:
Nicely dried.I like them still a touch 'fleshy' and not totally dried. So these will go into the freezer. I may be a bit paranoid about them getting mouldy, but while I have the freezer space, in they go!

One day I'm hoping to get my act together and build a solar oven for drying.

3 comments:

Pip said...

It has certainly been hot enough to use solar to dry fruit or veges. I thought about drying some fruit last week but that was as far as I got. I have been thinking about buying a dehydrator, what sort is yours, cost, does it take long, is it noisy? (it looks like you have borrowed my cork mats, I do exactly the same when I make relish, leave them to cool on the cork mats)
take care
Pip

Veggie Gnome said...

I really like this dehydrator. It's a Harvest Maid, with 4 trays, 2 solid sheets, 2 perforated sheets.
I looked at the Ezidry dehydrators and they seem to be exactly the same as Harvest Maid.

I don't know how much it cost. I have been using it for the last 10 years and it's still working beautifully. It can be a tad noisy, so don't have it on overnight, or make sure it's not near your bedroom.

The peaches were cut in 3-5mm slices and took about 10-12 hours to dry. But they are not totally dry, as I like them still a bit soft, and I'll store them in the freezer.

Olive said...

Why not vacuum seal them in bags. then you dont use up all the freezer space :-)